Sunday, December 18, 2016

Rogue One: Review (Spoiler Free) and Spoiler Thoughts




 Rogue One Review (Spoiler-Free) 
 

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story came out this weekend, and I was fairly excited to see it—not nearly as excited as I was for The Force Awakens last December—but I’ll cut right to the chase: I was pretty disappointed by Rogue One

The opening scene is fantastic, and right away it’s established that this movie looks, sounds, and feels like Star Wars. However, the first act jumps around quite a lot, bouncing from planet to planet and character to character, with Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) as the main protagonist out of a band of rebels. I didn’t find her particularly likable, nor did I care about most of the rebels. The only two I really liked were Donnie Yen as a blind warrior who believes in the force and Jiang Wen as his friend with an awesome laser gun. A character I didn’t expect to dislike so much was the droid K-2S0, who functions as the comedy relief, as per every Star Wars movie. It sounds like most people loved every scene with him in it, but I found myself cringing at nearly all of his dialogue. It just felt like a lesser version of C-3P0. 
 
The second act is slow, meandering, and actually felt lacking in action, but it ramps up in the third act with huge-scale action sequences that were very well done, and yet, because I didn’t particularly care about most of the characters, I didn’t find myself that invested in the action. 

One of the few issues I had with Force Awakens was the number of times it had to throw in unnecessary references to the old films. The number of references to the original Star Wars films in Rogue One is as bad, if not worse, than Force Awakens, and a few of them, which I’ll talk about in the spoiler section, completely took me out of the movie. Of course some of them like the Death Star and Darth Vader were inevitable, given the story is set before the events of A New Hope, but I’m talking about references specifically placed in the story simply to appeal to fans. 

On the positive side of things, 99 % of the visual effects were spectacular, with the look of the old films being recreated so faithfully some shots you’d swear were pulled from the original Star Wars (and apparently a few shots were), but it also demonstrates new things not yet seen before in a Star Wars film. The action, too, is very well directed, easy to follow, and on a technical level, extremely exciting, especially in the third act. 

I think my main issue with Rogue One was the untapped potential. This was an opportunity to tell a very different story in the Star Wars universe, but ultimately it felt like just another Star Wars movie. The story was meandering, uneven, not particularly strong, and there was lots of room for innovation within the Star Wars universe, room to show us more new things, but instead it falls back on heavy doses of nostalgia, and I found myself wishing for a more unexpected story. This movie is almost exactly what I was expecting, and yet, it’s sort of inherent with it being a prequel to A New Hope. We pretty much knew how it was going to go for these characters before the movie even started. 

That brings up another issue: I’m uncertain how general movie-going audiences will respond to Rogue One, because it connects so strongly to A New Hope, that casual viewers who don’t have keen knowledge about New Hope might not enjoy it as much (I’m still hearing people wondering if this is the sequel to The Force Awakens, which it isn’t, for the record), but I think hard-core Star Wars fans are going to get a lot more out of it. For me, being somewhere in the middle of casual Star Wars viewer and hard-core Star Wars fan, the movie was just that: middling. I didn’t think it was particularly bad, but it didn’t evoke much emotion or even reaction from me like I was hoping. Perhaps upon a repeat viewing I’ll find more to like about it, but right now, I’d say it’s just slightly above Revenge of the Sith as the best Star Wars prequel, and very distant to the original trilogy and The Force Awakens, in terms of entertainment value.

That’s my spoiler-free review on Rogue One, now I’m going to get into my thoughts on specific scenes, characters, and events, so if you HAVEN’T seen Rogue One yet, STOP READING here. 

If you have seen Rogue One, proceed.


Rogue One: Spoiler Thoughts

I’ll start with all the positives and then go into the negatives, and I’ll try not to repeat anything I said in the spoiler-free section. This won’t be a definitive list of things, just everything I can think of off the top of my head right now.  


Positives:

-The opening scene: I was surprisingly okay with the lack of an opening title crawl. Having the “A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away” remain was a wise decision. Mads Mikkelsen as Galen Erso was great, as was Ben Mendelsohn as Orson Krennic, a great villain, and this first scene with them was a strong start for the movie. Krennic’s Death Troopers looked awesome, the look of the Erso’s home felt very much like Luke’s home in Episode IV, and all-in-all, it was among my favourite scenes in the whole movie. 

-Darth Vader: many fans are wishing they got more Vader in this movie. The reason I’d say we got enough is because it was still satisfying to see him, but they didn’t ruin him, which could’ve happened. He’s makes two epic entrances, has one excellent bit of dialogue with Krennic, and one brief but unforgettable action scene, the likes of which has never been seen on film before, and that’s all I needed. Could we have used a bit more Vader? Sure, but for me, it was an apt dosage, and he looked great.  

-Scarif Space Battle: from a technical and visual standpoint, this is the best space battle I’ve ever seen in a Star Wars film. The Force Awakens was sorely lacking an epic space battle, and this more than made up for it.  

-New stuff: even though I think Rogue One had too many unnecessary call backs to the original films, it still featured some new stuff that I really liked, and in fact, it felt like there was more new tech and creatures in this than in Force Awakens. I liked the Death Troopers, as mentioned, as well as the new ships and the new locations. 

-Some of the references: yes, some of the throwbacks were pretty good. The two characters who show up on Jedah that we later see at Mos Eisley in Episode IV fit right in, Chirrut mentioning “Guardians of the Whills” was a nice reference to George Lucas’ original name for the force, and using the same pilots for the Scarif Battle from Episode IV was an effective connection between the two films.  

-Music: a small positive, but I liked the music. I didn’t love it, I didn’t hate it, I thought it was adequate, especially considering 1) this is the first Star Wars score not by John Williams, 2) Michael Giacchino had four weeks to put the score together, and 3) it had to blend old themes with new themes in a way that didn’t sound jarring. So a valiant effort all around, but of course could’ve been way better/more memorable. 


Negatives: 

-Opening title: Even though I didn’t miss the crawl, having it would’ve helped to orient more casual viewers, which was the whole point of it originally anyway. And while the opening scene was good, the actual title itself didn’t look that great when it popped up afterwards, it could’ve been improved (the font as well as the accompanying music).

-Mad Mikkelsen: once again, this great actor is underused. It happened in Doctor Strange last month, it happened again here. Please, Hollywood, don’t make this a thing. More Galen Erso would’ve been nice, and likely would’ve made his death more impactful. 

-Saw Gererra: I straight-up didn’t like him. I don’t know him from The Clone Wars, just this movie. I didn’t like his voice, I didn’t find him intimidating or funny or even vaguely interesting, he was just weird. It felt like they plucked him from the imaginary set of Battlefield Earth 2

-Tarkin and Leia: I joked that we’d probably see Tarkin and Leia in cgi long before I saw this movie, but I never thought they’d really go this far with it, and it absolutely did not work for me. Was it a bold move? Hell yes. Is it better than past attempts at cgi people, like in Tron and Terminator Salvation? Absolutely. But had they reduced the number of lines for Tarkin and maybe had him move around less and not face the camera so directly, I could’ve bought into it, but when he turned around and started talking and moving, all I saw was plastic Tarkin, and I don’t remember a single line he uttered because it was so jarring and took me right out of the movie. To a lesser extent, I had the same reaction to Leia. Having her as the last shot of the film didn’t work for me, either, but again, I bought it until her face moved as she talked. It just didn’t look real, and felt unnecessary to show to that extent. 

-Darth Vader: he’s both a negative and a positive. The negative side of it: his screen time could’ve been handled better. Like Gareth Edwards’ last movie Godzilla, Vader’s presence isn’t felt at all prior to the first time he’s shown, and then it’s barely felt after we see him in his one scene, until he pops in for a minute at the end. For the hard-core fans, at least, you think they could’ve done a little more with him. And on a nitpicky level, I thought his eyes were a little too red, and his line “Don’t choke on your aspirations” would’ve worked had it not been the only joke he made out of an entirely serious conversation. 

-C-3P0 and R2-D2: it was nothing more than a cameo, so I can’t say this a major negative, but it felt so shoehorned in just to continue the tradition of making it so those two characters have been in every Star Wars movie. It felt like an interruption more than a fun moment. 

-Everyone dies: it’s not that I didn’t like that everyone died in the end. It was ballsy and makes sense, I guess, at least as far as why they wouldn’t be in the original trilogy, but the problem I have with that is, they could have easily made it so (theoretically) after they succeeded in stealing the death star plans, maybe one of them who lived could have just said “I’m done” and left the whole conflict between the empire and rebellion? It did feel neater, continuity wise, to just have everyone die, but it felt to me like everyone died all within ten minutes. I would’ve liked to have seen the deaths more spread out, maybe have someone die way earlier before the final battle, just something a little different than everyone straight up dies all right at the end. 

-Kassian’s death: when he got shot and fell down, he should’ve stayed dead. I was really disappointed to see him come back shortly after to sit with Jyn on the beach and hold her hand. She should’ve been there by herself and died alone. 

-The final scene: look, I completely get the excitement about the ending of this movie. It really is mind-blowing to see the rebels fleeing with the plans and Vader coming in and slaughtering all the rebels, but here’s my problem with it. All the protagonists of this movie, Jyn, Kassian, etc., are dead. The movie is pretty much over, for me. I don’t care about the nameless, faceless rebels. I’m not emotionally invested in anyone now. We know where the plans go to. The movie is over. When Vader stepped out and turned on his lightsabre, I thought the movie would cut to black right then and there. But it keeps going, and yeah it’s a cool scene, but it almost felt like it was from a different movie, and was pure fan service. I’m not hating on it, it just once again felt a bit shoe-horned in there to make it a memorable ending.


That’s all I can think of right now. Again, to sum up, an okay movie. Not bad, but not that amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment