Thursday, January 9, 2020

Top 10 Anticipated Movies of 2020: CCC Issue #84




Most-Anticipated Movies of 2020


Now that I’m done looking back, it’s time to look forward again to the (hopefully) great movies coming this year. I’m predicting only four of these are likely to make it to my favourites of the year list, but hopefully I’m wrong!


10. Monster Hunter
 
This first one is something of a joke. The Resident Evil film series, which somehow got six entries before being wrapped up in a hilariously misguided final installment in 2016, starred Milla Jovovich, who is married to the writer of all six (and director of four-out-of-six) Paul W.S. Anderson. I like Milla, but she has been in some really atrocious movies, and Paul W.S. Anderson has made mostly terrible movies, but often, the two of them teamed up make something so bad it becomes entertaining, which is what happened with the later entries in Resident Evil. So here they are, teamed up once again, taking on another video game franchise. This one is exactly like the title suggests: it’s gonna have Milla fighting giant monsters in a fantasy world. Sign me the hell up. This thing is going to be so ridiculous; I can’t wait to ogle at the cheesy dialogue, lame effects, and ridiculous plot. Monster Hunter is set for a September 4th release.  


9. Bad Boys for Life
 
This threequel is way, way overdue, and quite frankly I’m surprised it was even made, but here we go, the Bad Boys are back, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence teaming up once again to fight crime, and the trailer looks…surprisingly good? I wouldn’t say I’m super excited about this one or even any amount of hopeful, but Bad Boys and Bad Boys II are two of Michael Bay’s better action movies as far as I’m concerned, and with a different director behind the camera this time, it might make for fresher action sequences. Just seeing Smith and Lawrence back on screen again with their funny banter will hopefully make it a fun throwback and not a regretful redo of the previous movies. Coming out in January (literally a week from now) is a little worrying, but hopefully it’ll be a worthwhile sequel. 


8. The Eternals 

After 10+ years of multiple superhero movies every year, I have to be honest, I'm getting burned out. With Marvel's infinity saga now over and the stories of most of my favorite characters either concluded or continuing in further years to come, this is the first year in a long time that all of Marvel Studios releases are not among my most anticipated. I don’t care about Black Widow and I can’t even remember what the third release is supposed to be, but I'll put one of them on my list because The Eternals has a very interesting cast and, as far as I know, is largely set in space, and the cosmic MCU adventures have all been pretty good so far. I’m hoping it gives us a bit of a different spin on the space action and some new characters to enjoy until our favourites return. The Eternals comes out November 6th.  


7. Color Out of Space
 
Look, I know there’s a huge legion of fans out there who are obsessed with everything Nicholas Cage does, but I’m not one of them, OK? Having said that, I am a fan of the works of one H.P. Lovecraft, whose gothic horror fiction has not been adequately adapted to film, despite having been around for almost a hundred years. This latest attempt, an adaptation of the short story of the same name (actually spelt “colour” originally) had a great-looking trailer, and early reviews for it have been positive. There’s even talk of this possibly being the first in a H.P Lovecraft Cinematic Universe, which I am all for, so hopefully this will make for a successful start. Color Out of Space invades theaters January 24th


6. Malignant 

If you’re a horror fan, then you likely know the name James Wan. He’s part of the reason the genre came back so strong in the 2010s, with directing credits including the original Saw, The Conjuring, and Insidious. As he achieved greater success, he went on to some bigger movies, namely Furious 7 and Aquaman, but now he’s returning to his lower budget horror roots with Malignant, which I know nothing about, but given his horror movie track record, I think it’s a safe bet that this will be another great one. Whether it will turn out to be a major hit like many of his previous efforts or not I’m not sure, but we will find out when it creeps into theaters August 14th


5. Last Night in Soho 

Anything Edgar Wright is doing next has me interested. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Baby Driver, and now this, a psychological thriller set in Soho that somehow involves time travel. I don’t know much else about it at this point, and don’t really need to. I’ll be seeing it no matter what when it comes out September 25th


4. Antlers 

Hollywood is clearly still on that horror kick, because 2020 has a lot of great-looking scary movies coming (I have four on this list) but this is the one that has me the most intrigued at this point. The trailer was chilling and showed just enough of the plot and monster to get me on board. It’s also from producer Guillermo Del Toro, who knows the genre well. Great-looking cinematography, some strong cast members, and a (hopefully) original story with some quality scares. Antlers is slated for release on April 17th.


3. Dune 


Most people don’t realize Dune was intended to be adapted to film back in the 1970’s even before Star Wars came out, and had that version of the film been realized, it may have ended up being what Star Wars became: the definitive space opera for generations to come. Instead, production was shut down, and while a Dune movie eventually did come out in 1984, it isn’t really remembered as a classic. There’s a ton of source material to draw from (six novels in the original series, plus numerous prequels and spinoffs written by other authors), and Hollywood is giving Dune another shot this year, but the reason I’m so excited for it is because of the director. Denis Villeneuve gave us the incredible alien invasion film Arrival in 2016, then followed it up with Blade Runner 2049, which is easily one of the best sci-fi sequels in years—in fact, probably not since Aliens has a sci-fi sequel which wasn’t created by the creators of the original been so good. With Villeneuve directing and a cast that’s truly stacked, including such powerhouse actors as Oscar Isaac, Stellan Skarsgard, Josh Brolin, and Jarvier Bardem, Dune is shaping up to possibly be one of the best remakes in recent years, and hopefully the start of a new, exciting sci-fi film franchise when it opens December 18th.   


2. Tenet 

Any new movie from Christopher Nolan is automatically on my radar. In the 2010s, he only released 3 movies, Inception (one of my favorites), The Dark Knight Rises (not the best of his Batman movies but still pretty great) and Dunkirk (an expertly crafted war film), but now after a full decade he’s back with an Inception-like thriller that is still very mysterious even in the wake of the first trailer, but it looks like time travel mixed with espionage thrills. Hopefully it lives up to the intrigue and makes for another high point in Nolan's filmography. It comes out July 17th


1. Godzilla vs. Kong
 
I quote Dr. Emmet Brown from Back to the Future: “This is the big one, the one I’ve been waiting for all my life!” When I was a kid, I imagined King Kong and Godzilla fighting before I even knew a movie already existed in which they do just that. It was the third Godzilla movie released by Toho, way back in 1962, and as fun and epic and successful as it was back then, the two world-famous giant monsters never fought again. Until now. Ever since they announced the new American iteration of Godzilla would be squaring off with the rebooted Kong (much larger than Peter Jackson’s 2005 version, so he'd have a better chance against the King of the Monsters) I have been waiting eagerly to see it, and now finally, in 2020, the rematch I’ve been wanting to see for so long will happen. My fingers are crossed; I really hope they don’t mess this up. Godzilla vs. Kong is set to conclude the Monster-verse, so hopefully they go out with a bang when it hits theaters November 20th

No comments:

Post a Comment