Monday, February 24, 2014

C.C.C. Issue #13: Top Ten Worst Movies Theatrically Released

 C.C.C. Issue #13: Top Ten Worst Theatrically Released Movies

In this issue of C.C.C, I'm looking at movies that are so terrible, so appalling, they aren't even in the category of so bad they're good. With so many to choose from, I created two lists: this one, and the worst direct to DVD movies ever, which will be out next week!




Top Ten Worst Theatrically Released Movies

For some reason, I like bad movies. More precisely, I like movies that are so bad they become entertaining—usually because they are hilarious. These ten, though, are just bad. These are the worst of the worst as far as films that received a wide release in theaters (there are so many bad direct to DVD films it requires a separate list). If you haven’t seen these ten atrocities, I’m warning you to keep it that way.

Criteria: Must have bad critic ratings and be considered terrible by people who I have shown it to, seen it with, or know who have seen it. Must also have been released in major theaters, not a limited release.


10. Jaws: The Revenge

Steven Spielberg’s classic blockbuster Jaws is highly regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time (I happen to strongly agree). Jaws 2 was the inevitable sequel to capitalize on the first one’s success, and it wasn’t terrible, nor was it great. Jaws 3, originally released in the now outdated anaglyph 3D, was a miserable film where things started to get really bad. Then, somehow, Jaws: The Revenge (a sequel to one of the best movies ever, don’t forget) became one of the worst films of all time. When the mechanical shark roars like a T.rex and is unintentionally able to fly, you know the movie sucks. I could begin dissecting the terribleness by pointing out this shark trying to get revenge isn’t even the same one from the first movie, but then I would be at this forever. I still have nine more abominations to talk about. 

9. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

It doesn’t really matter which Transformers movie I put on this list; they’re all poor adaptations of the cartoons, but people don’t care about that. Apparently they want big explosions and Shia LaBeouf screaming like a little girl (we’ve seen it three times, now). The first movie was forgivable in that it had decent visual effects and action, but little else. The one film from Michael Bay’s original trilogy that angered me the most was the second. The first Transformers was big, dumb fun, but at least it was fun. Transformers: ROTF was boring, completely stupid, racist, and (lamest of all) the visual effects were worse than the first. You can’t blame that on the writer’s strike which took place at that time. It’s an inexcusably subpar sequel indeed, especially with a budget so overblown. Transformers: Dark of the Moon may have been an improvement, but that’s like saying it’s better to be thrown into a lake with a concrete block tied to your leg and handed a knife to cut the rope rather than be thrown in without the knife. Either way, it sucks. I can’t wait to not see Transformers: Age of Extinction later this year. 

8. Howard the Duck
 
I guess the first indication that George Lucas shouldn’t have been allowed to make the Star Wars prequel trilogy was when he personally produced Howard the Duck, an adaptation of the Marvel comic of the same name. It follows the adventure of the anthropomorphic duck Howard to earth, where he battles the “dark overlord of the universe”, or something. This movie is terrible in many ways, some of them due to big concepts that just didn’t work, and other little details that are just bizarre. As far as big concepts, the decision to make this a live action film and have a little person play Howard was a bad idea. As for little details, this is a movie targeted at a young audience, right? So why have Howard reading a Playduck magazine at the beginning of the film? Why show a half naked duck lady taking a bath? Why did George Lucas think this movie was a good idea?! The most depressing thing is, despite the fact that this movie is supremely terrible, it isn’t even the worst. This is only number eight, and let me tell you, it’s not going to get any better from here. 

7. The Happening

Worst M. Night Shyamalan movie? Take your pick: The Last Airbender, After Earth, The Village? How about The Happening? Remember that one, where the grass releases a chemical which made people want to kill themselves? I wish I didn’t remember. Everything that is meant to be scary comes out being unintentionally funny, but the deaths are surely the funniest. A man lies down in front of his lawnmower, another guy opens the cage to the lion pen at the zoo and the lion bites him around the neck, and there are many other stupid kills which I have forgotten about. I remember this movie being released on Friday the 13th, and it was made extremely clear in the advertising. You would think M. Night Shyamalan had enough bad luck, but I guess the studio felt differently. Including a beyond absurd plot, Mark Wahlberg’s worst performance, stupid characters, and just general stupidity, I wonder how such a bad movie like this ever happened in the first place. 

6. Catwoman
 
So besides Halle Berry wearing a skin tight leather outfit, what was good about Catwoman...? I can safely say it wasn’t her razzie-winning performance. It wasn’t her completely made up cat super powers, either. Was it the special effects? Nope, not those either. Anything else? No? So to sum up, Catwoman was bad all around. Next! 

5. Batman and Robin

The first omen that a bad Batman movie was coming was when Joel Schumacher replaced Tim Burton as director on 1995’s Batman: Forever. It wasn’t a terrible film, but it did introduce Robin and had a less sturdy story than Batman or Batman Returns. In Batman and Robin, Schumacher trades in great action and characters for a plethora of terrible one-liners, cartoony depictions of the characters, and bat nipples. Yup, bat nipples. Oh, and codpieces. None of the characters work, the casting is extremely questionable, and the dialogue painful. The only superhero movie worse than Catwoman, is this movie one. At first I thought it might teeter on the line of so bad it’s good, but I now understand Batman and Robin was an attempt to make a Batman movie more like the TV series from the sixties. And no, it wasn’t a good idea. 

4. Battlefield Earth

What could go wrong in adapting L. Ron Hubbard’s futuristic sci-fi novel about aliens that have taken over humanity? At the crack of the century, this John Travolta-starring turkey came out and was universally panned by critics and audiences alike, for basically all aspects of the film. The thing I hate the most is the ridiculous camera angles. It’s like the director had a broken tri pod; I don’t think there’s a single frame of the film that isn’t tilted or skewed. My guess is that Travolta regrets having invested millions of his own dollars into what has become renowned as the worst film of 2000, and one of the worst films of all time. Cringe inducing dialogue, lame special effects, and a bland plot all add up to make one seriously misguided and appalling film. 

3. Ghost rider/Ghost rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance

Why pick one or the other? Both Ghost Rider films are terrible! Bad cgi, stupid story, and even Nicholas Cage stoops to new lows here. Seeing behind the scenes footage of the directors filming Ghost Rider 2 absolutely baffled me. They shot some of the chase scenes wearing roller blades. They were wearing roller blades. While holding the camera. Filming a chase scene. If that doesn’t scream unprofessional, I don’t know what does. It’s almost tempting to recommend watching these two movies if you haven’t seen them because you won’t believe how bad they are (especially true of the second) but unfortunately, once you watch them, there’s no way to get that precious time back, so I can’t recommend it.

2. Super Babies: Baby Geniuses 2

Babies that are actually brilliant, and have semi-super powers: need I say more? All I can say about this movie is the little story that goes with the one and only time I saw it as a kid. I was about seven or eight, and watched it because, like all stupid kids, thought it looked fun and didn’t know better. I disliked it (even as a child) and later that night, woke up to a ferocious stomach bug and puked my guts out all night. After that, I was gravely sick for over a week—sicker than I had ever been in my life, and I have not been that sick since. Did watching Baby Geniuses 2 cause my illness? Are the two connected? Put it this way, anytime I see a clip from the movie, it makes me queasy. 

1. The Beast of Yucca Flats
 
Many of you might not know about this movie. I didn’t until recently. Years ago, I bought one of those discount DVD collections—those clunky box sets labelled with ‘Over 13 Hours!’ and contain a dozen or so movies jammed into three DVD’s—and the collection was Incredible Monsters. I had bought it for one or two classics, but had never really watched any of the other films it featured. I decided one day to pop in disc one and watched the first film. It was only 54 minutes long, but it felt like an eternity of punishment. This is surely one of the worst movies I have ever seen, if you can even classify it as a movie. Apparently it was originally silent, and narration and dialogue were all added in afterwards. Is it obvious? Well, no character’s mouths are shown when they speak, and the narration is extremely repetitive. I wonder if the director even had a script, or if they were just shooting random scenes in hopes that they would all somehow connect. The opening scene is a woman getting out of the shower, only to be strangled by a man whom we never see. This woman isn’t in the film again, her significance to the plot is never explained, it’s not even confirmed if she was killed by the beast in the title or not! And speaking of the beast, it’s just former wrestler Tor Johnson dressed up in stupid clothes, he isn’t even a legit monster. I’m asking you to just take my word on this. This is such a bad movie, you can save those precious 54 minutes of your life doing something way more constructive, and not waste them like I did. That is my report, may you all avoid The Best of Yucca Flats, as well as the other films on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment